Stewards of Children | Darkness Into Light
Stewards of Children is a revolutionary sexual abuse prevention training program that educates adults to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse, and motivates them to courageous action. The Stewards of Children program is designed for parents and organizations that serve children and youth.
The curriculum can be used by organizations that are:
- Seeking training for staff and volunteers in the prevention of child sexual abuse.
- Wanting to make a difference in their community by educating adults about the protection of children.
- Needing to respond to insurance requirements regarding child protection.
The program includes:
- An interactive workbook for each participant containing the full program curriculum.
- A 1 ¼ hour video component integrating segments of sexual abuse survivors relating their stories of violation and healing, with segments from the author of the curriculum and from professionals who interface daily with the problem of sexual abuse.
- Opportunity for discussion about important issues in sexual abuse prevention and the relevance of these issues within organizations that serve children and adolescents.
The Stewards of Children Program is presented by a Virginia’s House staff member and is approximately 3 hours. CEUs are available for social workers and licensed counselors. The cost of the training is normally $10.00.
Interested in attending or hosting a Stewards of Children presentation?
Email or call 940-549-9829 – Ask for Family Advocate or Forensic Interviewer
Click here for an at-a-glance look at the program!
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused before their 18th birthday
- 1 in 5 children are sexually solicited on the Internet
- 50% of all victims are under the age of 12
- 90% of victims know their abusers*
*statistics provided by the Darkness to Light Foundation
The prevent Now program is an hour in length and includes a 25 minute survivor documentary and facilitated discussion. The Prevent Now program asks people to commit to the prevention effort by taking one of the following actions: Attend a Stewards of Children child sexual abuse prevention program; Become a Stewards of Children trained facilitator and bring the program to their church, school, or youth serving organization; or join the Prevent Now coalition and help raise awareness of the program.
It costs $10 to train one adult to better protect children and each adult trained is estimated to better protect at least 10 children from abuse. For $1.00 we can prevent a child from being sexually abused. Compare that to the over $14,000 spent each year per child on recovery from child sexual abuse. (statistics provided by the National Institute of Justice, 1995).
Interested in attending a Prevent Now meeting?
Please email Trish Remington, firstname.lastname@example.org, for information regarding this important training.
Prevent now is also available to your church, school, youth-serving, or youth sports organization. (1 hour)
Recognizing and Reporting
This seminar teaches those individuals who work with children on a daily basis about the signs and symptoms of child abuse. Professionals will learn facts about child abuse, how to recognize physical and behavioral signs of the varying forms of child abuse, as well as many other important details for how to make a report. (1-1.5 hours)
Call us today to set up a training or if you want to know more about these training opportunities!