Please call us if you are interested in becoming a volunteer. We have several different types of volunteers.
Mentors provide a vital role in helping young children and youth to have a positive and encouraging adult in their lives. Successful mentors share many of the same basic qualities:
- A sincere desire to be involved with a young person.
- Respect young people.
- Active listening.
- Look for solutions and opportunities.
- Flexible and open.
Mentors also share the same objectives:
- To provide a young person with a positive role model.
- To help instill pride and self-esteem in each young person.
- To assist in helping young people increase their thinking abilities.
Each Mentor will help develop their Mentee’s character by:
- Increasing his/her respect for self and others.
- Setting goals and helping them achieve their goals.
- Providing stability and being consistent.
- Helping the Mentee learn to problem solve and make good decisions, as well as, encourage them to explore their future.
Each Mentor will spend an hour a week with their student. This time will be spent with the student during school hours and on the school campus. This time is somewhat flexible so that you can arrange it to work with your schedule.
To learn more about the Mentor Program or to volunteer call Ashley at 940.549.9829, or if you would like to begin the process of becoming a Mentor, please download and complete these documents:
Our volunteers usually find the CASA experience flexible enough to accommodate their schedules. North Star CASA staff trains and supports volunteers to represent the best interest of the child. A CASA volunteer will go to court about 4-5 times a year and may attend a few daytime meetings. The remainder of a CASA volunteer’s work is done on their own time – visiting the child, reading reports and records. The CASA volunteer will also meet, email and call others involved in the case. Throughout the case, volunteers typically spend 10-15 hours a month working on the case.
If you would like more information about CASA or you are interested in becoming a CASA Volunteer call Scott at 940.549.9829 or go to www.becomeacasa.org.
You can also download and complete these documents to begin the process of becoming a CASA:
There are many more ways to be involved, so please call or email us.